SR20DET Rebuild – Part 1 – The dismantle

Posted: August 14, 2012 by themoose82 in Maintenance, Silvia, Team Red Stage, Uncategorized

So whilst some members of Team Red Stage are currently in Japan honing their drift skills I am back here in Australian starting a rebuild on my old SR20DET.

About 12 months ago the original motor finally let go after running at about 240rwkw with a basically stock engine with a GT2871 bolted on running 18psi and supporting mods. I didn’t have time to mess around as it was my daily driver so I got hold of another long motor for pretty cheap and did an engine swap.

Ever since the old motor has been sitting in the corner of the shed gathering dust and I have been tossing up what to do. The current set up works great and I am really happy with it but it turns out the replacement motor is also pretty sad and chews a bit of oil and has a lot of top end blowby indicating worn valve stem seals. I don’t know if the engine is going to last 500km or 50,000km so every time I go to the track I worry the engine is gonna throw a rod or something.

So, I finally pulled my finger out and decided to do a rebuild. I looked at getting a mechanic to rebuild it for me but was pretty surprised at how expensive it was. So I have decided to go it on my own. I started stripping down the engine to find out exactly what happened. The first thing I noticed was that the interior of the engine was immaculate! Everything in the head seems to be in good nick, cams looked spotless not a score mark or a scratch.

Lifting the head revealed a bit of carbon build up but some nice clean bores with very smooth liners no score marks. You could even see the original honing marks.

Dropping the pistons out revealed that number 2 big end bearing had spun and wiped the white metal.

The crank pin has minor discoloration but no big damage so looks like I should be able to get away with a polish and use the crank again.

The stripped block, head and crank are at the machinist at the moment getting measured up and inspected so I can size up new pistons and bearing.

I am mechanically savy but have never rebuilt a motor myself so looking forward to the challenge. Hoping to get it all reassembled, installed and retuned before the 2 day Matsuri at Wakefield Park in November.

To be continued….

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Rob says:

    Sounds like you had some luck with that engine. I’m sure you can get it done well before November!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s